REQUIREMENTS TO TRANSFER A TITLE OR TAG
The following items are required when requesting a Tag or Title transfer:
- Original title (signed by owner or owners as shown on the front) or a copy of the title application provided by the dealer.
- Odometer disclosure statement if vehicle is newer than ten (10) years
- New owner or owners must be present to sign title application (unless a notarized power of attorney form is used)
- Proof of Residency (utility bill or other item with home address indicated)
- Window sticker with MSRP for new cars
- Driver License Numbers
Vehicle registration (car tags) can be renewed in person at the Tax Collector’s Office or by mail.
A solid waste account is required to renew tags. Please contact the Waste Management Department to verify that your account is in good standing 601-394-2394.
MOTOR VEHICLE LICENSING
Upon the purchase of a new vehicle, the tag must be purchased within seven (7) working days of the purchase date to avoid penalties.
The Mississippi Tax Commission provides specialty tags available for a fee. Click here for a list and a picture of the current tag list. To view a list of the NASCAR driver license plates, click here.
When a person moves into this state from another state, a Mississippi registration must be obtained within 30 days of the move.
Upon selling or trading a vehicle, the seller shall remove the license plate from the vehicle and surrender the tag and receipt to the tax collector's office for credit towards another tag or a certificate of credit. No refunds.